Wednesday, July 4, 2018

Happy July 4th!

Salted Caramel Ice Cream
I am feeling quite independent...of my dependence on store-bought ice cream.  I gave away my ice cream maker because it seemed so tedious to have to place that entire unit ( I have that one! ) inside of the freezer.  Who remembers?  I started doing the quick 'n dirty method by the instructional culinary genius of Gemma Stafford!

My favorite treat is most definitely sea salt caramel ice cream.  But you would never know it if you checked my freezer.  I am usually volleying between stocking it and sending in the special forces to find it, in the store that is!

Yesterday, I had a few ideas in the noggin: strawberry cookies 'n cream and sea salt caramel.  The store changed brands on my heavy cream and jacked up the price to over $3.  

(Am I going to have to start making heaving cream?) 

Here is the recipe if you would like to skip the eggs and churner!  You can always churn if you have one, which I am working on bringing one back that only freezes the bowl!!!

1 c sugar
medium sauce pot
large bowl or pot (ice bath)
2 T of water (optional)
1 t of double strength vanilla
1-2 t of sea salt
16 oz heavy cream, divided

Over medium heat add 1 cup of sugar.  Allow it to melt and form caramel.  Do not stir or whisk.  You make rotate the pot in the air until it is completely melted into an amber color.  Remove from heat.  Add sea salt and then 4-6 oz of heavy cream.  Now whisk until smooth.  Transfer to a heat safe bowl.  Chill it in an ice bath.  

Chill this in the fridge for 8 hours or overnight if you plan to churn.  Otherwise, you may pour this into a baggie lined quart container, seal, then freeze until solid.

And just enjoy your independence--freedom from the whims of stores that choose or choose not to stock your flavors!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment