Thursday, January 20, 2011

protective style

Ok.  I pondered for weeks on whether or not to braid my hair for the winter.  It's not my first winter natural.  It's not even the second, but practically the third.  The point is, you know when you know that you're reaching boredom with trying to keep your hair maintained.  I love my natural locs and I really want it to be healthy.  I have been told that as it grows, it needs protective styling.  So I went out and spent a few bucks on some Kanekelon hair, cut the ponies in two, washed them, let them dry, and waited patiently for when the next wash would commence.

Yay!  So I have a pony tail full of box braids.  Not the thick kind, but small and manageable.  It took about three hours, really.  But it was so worth it.  I plan to keep it in for at least a month.  I'm aiming for three.  If I make it to March 19th, I'll be a nappy-happy fool!  We'll see how it goes.  The last time I braided my hair, I was in my first year of student teaching (1996).  I know.  It's been a minute.  Well, I'm loving it.  I've oiled it with my natural oils.  It feels so clean and fresh.  I'll post pics really soon.  Thanks to the ladies over on YouTube who inspired me to braid again.  It was so much easier this time than I remembered.  I'm learning!

This picture is a few weeks old...

No comments:

Post a Comment