Tuesday, May 22, 2012

the precious things we take for granted


No matter how many people die and leave us, there will always be those that will not understand or value the precious things that we are blessed with until they are gone. I learned how to let go of precious life very early. I lost my father when I was nine years old. I hold fond memories of him. That lost taught me to love those who I love without fail. As time lapsed, I grew from this lanky teen to a buxom young woman. Over that time life continued to slip out from my grasp.

At 17, there were all of the earmarks to becoming the woman I am today, only then everything was new and untested. Today, at 42 I recognize the things that are not important and the things that deserve the utmost attention. No matter the turns life take us through, some will never understand the beauty of the gifts we are given. Life brings enough struggles for us. It is undoubtedly a careless waste of time and life to take for granted the things that present themselves amidst the bleak and dank options that are so plenty.

When the people I love leave this world, I do not want to hang tirelessly onto their coffin, pleading to God for one more day, an hour to show them how much I loved them. When their time is done, I will salute them on their journey and may Godspeed. Not everyone values life the same. In spite of the precious gifts of love, we seek the attention of that which is unimportant. Instead of cherishing the days we have we look to what we do not have. Instead of counting our blessings, we lament on our sufferings.

And then we wonder why nothing changes in our lives, after toiling and begging for blood from a stone. The truth is here. Where we place our treasure is where our heart rests. Our gratitude for the small blessings allows for God to Bless us more abundantly.


No comments:

Post a Comment