Friday, June 1, 2012

hair grease haul


First, forget what you have been told about throwing away 'hair grease'.

When I started this natural hair journey, I was new. The last time I saw natural hair Muhammad Ali was fighting Leon Spinks. Yeah! Some of you folks born in the 80's forward have no idea what I am talking about.  Naturally speaking, the words of the wise are from tested true natural veterans with flowing locs.  Right?

Well, let me tell you a thing or two about ditching what you know once worked on your hair. Not everyone is the same. You will find this on YouTube. Most of the soft luscious wash-n-go girls are 3c and below with hair that shrinks but is fine textured to be manipulated without drying out. For us 4-type folks...uh...we need the twist outs and 'da grease'.

Not everyone is the same, even amongst the 4's. Some do not experience the shrinkage that  I encounter. Some do not like their hair so much that they wear weaves, braids, wigs, extensions, etc. 98% of the time when their hair is not flat-ironed or when doing 'length checks'. Listen up...they hardly blog about the wonderful ways their 4 type hair is styled daily. They hide!

Why? They hide because they are too chicken shit to admit that all of these oils and expensive materials pimped by the natural community for profit are not working for them. They do not want to deflect from the core, so they talk all of this chatter about 'protective styling' and hide their natural hair. Some even duck and run back to the creamy crack. Some, admit the truth and get back to the old ways that worked, which grew thick voluptuous ponies that everyone admired back in elementary school. You remember elementary school? That was the time when your mother still styled your hair, and it was long and thick, before you entered junior high and your poison fingers broke it all off.

My point here is that with all of my 3.5 years natural from a bald head, I started with what I knew. That consisted of the maintenance my mother used on my hair. As I branched out from a smooth bald head to a curly twa (teeny weeny afro) I wanted to see what others were doing with this 'hair' I discovered which was multi-textured. The good part is that I learned. Through this learning I became a product junkie, trying every product that I heard worked. I am not ashamed to say this. You learn by doing. No one sent me free tries so I was left to purchase my 'learning tools'. Sorry, student loan does not cover natural hair styling. Ha!

I will not list all of the products that I tried and tossed. It was a lot. I will tell you that I am ditching more of the stuff that does not work and adding GREASE! That is right. I am not talking about the stuff that you buy in a tiny tub for five dollars, with three trials and you are replacing it. I am speaking about the 1-3 dollar tubs of Bergamont, Castor Oil, and Coconut Oil. Royal Crown was a staple in my home. Some folks used Dixie Peach. Some had hair that just bathed in Dippity Doo (gel).

I know this. I need moisture and I need oil. Conditioner washes are better for me than Shampoo. Leave-ins are the bomb! Cheap Shampoo works! Cheap Conditioners work 10x better than the poos! I did discover a wonderful leave-in by a blogger on the YT. It consists of equal parts: aloe vera, conditioner, oil, and (water...my personal touch). I like my leave-in as a spray. I purchased little bottles to store it in, shake it up before applying, then add my GREASE! Yes sir! I am loving it!

Do you and do what works. Do not be afraid to try. By all means, when the trials fail to give you improved results, do not be afraid to go back home! We are not the rulers of the natural hair world. We do not own you or your journey.


No comments:

Post a Comment