Sunday, December 12, 2010

two years and going strong



My 2nd Nappiversary was actually on Nov. 29th.  It is the second year that I've been a Natural.  A true natural doesn't use any chemical straighteners on the hair.  I don't even believe dying your hair is natural unless it's Henna Coloring, which I may do sometime into the future.


I haven't even went brave and bold enough to press or add any heat besides hot water lathers and an occasional deep conditioning treatment under the bonnet.


I struggled through the first year, as I did a big chop that was more like a shaved head.  I really had no compass to lead me.  I used what had worked in the past and started to venture onto the internet.  There, I found a wealth of knowledge from some seasoned and new naturals.  I am so blessed to have discovered the wonderful world of natural hair and the women of YouTube: kimmaytube, kabrinam, CoilsKinksCurls, Nikkimae2003, beautifulbrwnbabydol, naturalstronghair, and so many others, whose informative channels have taught me so much on how to manage my hair.  So thanks to everyone.  The best piece of information that I received was to try products and compare to others.  In my journey, I've found some great products but I'm budget conscience!  I do not endorse and I am not paid to use or sponsor products.  Therefore, I am open to try   them all...YAY!  Until I'm compensated, I could very well go from doing a jigg over Carol's Daughter Hair Milk trio to pushing it aside for a cheaper, better product Organic Root Stimulator Smooth and Hold Pudding.


Some of my styling must haves are:
  • Wide Tooth Combs
  • Vent Brush
  • Scalp Massager (at the Dollar Store)
  • White Rain Conditioners (at the Dollar Store)
  • Water
  • Personal Care Dandruff Shampoo (at the Dollar Store)
  • Creme of Nature conditioning shampoo
  • Creme of Nature leave in conditioner
  • Hawaiian Silky 14 in 1
  • a wide variety of oils: olive, tea tree, shea, sweet almond, etc.
  • Carol's Daughter healthy hair butter
  • aloe vera gel
  • Eco-Style Gels (especially the olive oil brand)
  • Organic Root Stimulator Smooth and Hold Pudding
It was the best decision I ever made for hair and I only imagine the length and health it would have if I'd only stopped relaxing earlier, like 22 years ago.  Oh well!  Nothing ventured, nothing gained.  I guess it makes me appreciate these two years all the more.  

No comments:

Post a Comment