Wednesday, October 5, 2011

rest and recover, then fire it up

Hi Everyone! The results are in. I gave my soles for Parkinson's on Oct. 1, 2011 @ approximately 10:30 a.m. We started the run with a couple laps around the 'home track' and then off we went to challenge our minds, bodies, and spirits. It was a great cause and I couldn't have been more happier with my results. I had projected 15 mins - 1st mile, 12 minutes - 2nd mile, and 10 minutes - 3rd mile. That would be a total of 37 minutes. Well, I ran my second 5K ever, in 36:30 minutes. I was smoking. The weather was cold. I didn't expect it to be any better actually. Last year, when I ran the Brooksie Way 5K, I realized that October is just not forgiving. The mornings are bitter. And this one left nothing to the imagination. I was inspired. My sister was inspired. We did our thing. My training paid off! Last years run was about an hour, 5 minutes shy. 10K's are in my future. I can feel it! 6.4 miles??? I can do it~

Remember now, I'm almost 42 and running wasn't my life until a year ago. I forgot to get on the grass and stretch. I did the same thing last year and was sore. Then the long drive...sitting. Time to rest and recover. The lower body is strong so I took the next day and worked my bottom half at the gym. Now, to rest and recover. Two days. And the 'welcome back' run today at 5.5 was like pushing a rusty wagon up a hill. LMBO! I should have started with a walk, then to an incline walk.

It's all good. I'm thinking "tin man" from the Wizard of Oz. We would make quite a pair. I will not push past the pain this year. Last year, I did that and was sidelined for a few weeks. I'm going to cut my long runs out...and apply max interval training and boot camp style cardiovascular training. The weight training days are on the climb now. YES!

This girl is about to crank up that furnace.

No, cardio isn't going anywhere. It's my staple. But the long run is about to be reset. Speed is going to fall back a bit too. No injuries...no injuries!

No comments:

Post a Comment