Sunday, December 16, 2012

spinach...my new best bud

In marinara sauce, in an omelet, on a sandwich, as a salad, tossed in pasta, in a smoothie…you name it, I have tried it.

Spinach has become my new best friend. It has not replaced other vegetables. It merely has replaced my salad green otherwise known as the green most likely to be found in the fridge. When I buy a bag or a bunch, it will last me about a week. If I use it within two weeks, it’s all good. I like it far better than romaine but I still will do a salad of mixed greens. 

Spinach has a variety of uses. I am not compelled to only eat raw salads. Not that I’m abhorred to it. Sometimes I just don’t want a salad. Sometimes a little spinach livens up an ordinary tossed salad. I will take it any way I can, except for in the can. YUCK!

The nutritional information is astounding. One cup raw yields a tiny 7 calories, 1 carbohydrate, 1 protein, and 1 dietary fiber! Whoop! Whoop!

This food is low in Saturated Fat, and very low in Cholesterol. It is also a good source of Niacin and Zinc, and a very good source of Dietary Fiber, Protein, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol), Vitamin K, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Vitamin B6, Folate, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium, Copper and Manganese.



No comments:

Post a Comment