Saturday, April 6, 2013

spring season challenge


Spring is on the calendar even though it has a faint appearance in the air. With seasons changing, I always try to interject a challenge into my workout schedule to shake things up a bit. I do this following a decent observation of my body’s reaction to the current trend. I'm a year-round fitness buff, so when I propose the word challenge it makes me even cringe. Challenges are for those who are predictably yo-yo dieters. There's usually a very low percentage of adapting the observations into the new regularly scheduled routine, because there's usually no routine to adapt into.

When I proposed a challenge to myself, it was merely done to shake up the normal and decide where I wanted to take my workouts to. I basically cover the same material, method, and strategies when it comes to weights. I do play around with my cardio sessions more.

Observations:
1. Not hungry on rise.
2. Diminished urge to go to the restroom for several hours.
3. Not feeling tired or sleepy in the middle of the day (no nap).
4. Waking up 1-2 hours before the alarm sounds.
5. Allergies on high alert.
6. Boredom with the spinning.

I addressed these observations in the spring challenge which officially commenced with the April workout schedule and immediately observed my body's reactions to those changes.

Challenges:
1. Rise and fly. If I’m up…get up, get set…get gone. No pre-workout snack.
2. Hydrate more.
3. Add more vegetables.
4. Add breathing treatment (peppermint steam) before and after workout.
5. Replace the spin day with an extra intense run day.
6. Have a snack after dinner, but no latter than 8 p.m.

Reactions:
1. Noticed weights feel lighter. Increased weights.
2. Body is adapting fast. Pushing more weights.
3. Natural urge returns.
4. Feel more engaged in the runs.
5. Naps are mostly on cardio/run days.
6. Sleep better, less congestion.

I will continue to make notations of my observations. Recording my workouts is what makes my workouts so much more rewarding. I actually know what I'm doing, why I'm doing it, and make adjustments or alterations where necessary. I encourage you to make a food, sleep, and workout diary. You need a record to be able to track your progress. I never thought that I could have the same workout or an even more productive challenging one on an empty stomach.

No comments:

Post a Comment