Monday, December 19, 2011

deciding to push the envelope

Goal for 2012: Run the 10K.

Why? It is time to push it. For the past two months since the fall run season concluded, I knew that as scheduled, my training would come to an end; reduction in high intensity cardio would give way to an increase in muscle mass. I am testament that this is true. Not only did I eliminate the weekly 5k run, but I increased the intensity of the runs by raising the incline to 1.5 - 2 points.

As I posted previously, and as I look toward fitness goals for '12, the 10K has to be priority one when I enter the Spring Run Season. I have enjoyed the 5K training protocol. I love the 5K runs. But the training had become mundane, which was why I increased the intensity and fell off the weekly 5K train-run.

Yesterday, I decided to stretch the run out running intervals after 2 miles. I finished with a 4.25 run, with the last 2.25 miles with speed intervals. The goal in yesterday's training was to run an increased speed 2 mile run, but to also build speed and intensity. Typicially this isn't something I do simultaneously. I usually work on distance one day and sprints on the other run days in the week. I am not sure if this is something that I will make a part of my training, but I felt very good on the initial 2 miles and since it was the end of my days workout, I pushed.

The intervals were 1-1, high low, with 2-1 mixes, where 2 was the high. The goal here was to increase my lung capacity. This can't be achieved in one day. It has to be something that is incorporated into my fitness routine. I continue to cross train. But, I want the 10K. In order to get there, I want to feel like running a 10K is possible on any given day of the week. So at the same time, I will use the 5K marker for the speed now. In that regard, 3.2 miles will officially become the fast run. This will not happen over night. Remember, it is a part of the goal to 10K.

What fitness goal are you setting for the new year?

1 comment:

  1. ...and now the runs are up to 5+ miles. My last three runs were 4.6, 5.3, and 5.6.

    ReplyDelete