Saturday, December 31, 2011

my hair today…

It’s December 31, 2011 and it just happened to be my hair wash day. I am a traditionalist. Saturday was always the hair wash day in my household. Not only do I regularly wash my hair on Saturday, but I still use some of the same old hair care products and styling methods.

Instead of braided plats, I use two-strand twists.

One of my favorite old school traditions is Cholesterol Conditioner. Yesterday I purchased two 20 oz. jars (one with Olive Oil, one with Shea) at the beauty supply. I knew I had a trace amount left in an old container, but definitely not enough to do a deep heat pack conditioning.

I don’t do videos and I’m sorry for that. But I will do better at explaining exactly what I do to my hair. This morning I started my hair prep by spraying it with room temperature mixture of water and pure MSM. If you don’t have MSM, you should try it. I work the spray from roots to ends, loosening the twists before applying a generous amount of Olive Oil Cholesterol to each hair strand. I re-twist each section loosely and cover with a conditioning cap. I do own a hood dryer but I’d rather be doing something else besides sitting. And if I can avoid extreme heat on my hair, I do it.

Next, I rinse my hair in sections under warm water, finger detangling as I go before washing it with Whole Foods 365 Citrus Grapefruit Shampoo. I do not scratch my scalp. I reach through each section with my fingers and rub gently massaging. Pin the section and repeat to all sections. Rinse. Then apply its partner Conditioner. This is where the fun starts. I have been without a brush for about a month. And that is not recommended. I did decide, time to detangle. I used my Goody. It is strong and resilient to my hair. But I will make it point to purchase a brush for the next brush detangling scheduled for two weeks from today.

Detangle, ends first working up the hair shaft, gently. Do not rip through the hair. If you haven’t detangled in a while, expect to see a generous amount of strands. That’s ok. Hair sheds. And what doesn’t get brushed away daily will accumulate. The important thing is removing this so that it doesn’t tangle and cause undue breakage.

After, I resection my hair into seven parts, taking a wide tooth comb through each, and apply aloe vera gel, coating the hair root to tip. Next, apply Curly Kinks Coil Jam to smooth ends. I use Aloe Vera generously since I have a generous amount. Coil Jam is fabulous, but I only have a sample. Once I narrow down my go-to hair care product list, I will invest in more Curly Kinks products. Next, I take 10 pumps of Curly Kinks Satin Roots leave-in and smooth it over my hair. Then twist the section. Repeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment