Thursday, November 29, 2012

just do it...KSWISS style



Everyone who knows I run know that I supremely endorse the KSWISS Tubes Run 100 athletic shoes. I purchased three new pair after recycling over six pairs of Nike's. You'd think I'd pull out one of those new strides to hit the pavement in the Detroit Thanksgiving Turkey Trot 10k, but no...

I was thinking fashionable. I adorned my cold gear, courtesy of UnderArmour who is my go-to for cold weather running. My turtleneck was fuchsia so I could not imagine sporting anything other than my older tread-beaten bubble-gum pink accented Tubes. Thank God I had enough support to run the pavement in Downtown Detroit. The weather was beautiful. This was historical for me.

I did have a sudden case of buyers remorse. I did not get any sleep the night before. I was determined to not take a nap on Wednesday so that I could get a long eight hour sleep before awaking at 5 a.m. That did not happen. I slipped into a comfy nap and awoke around 8 p.m. I knew it was trouble ahead. I tried but could not fall asleep that night so I wound up working on my running playlist for the run and wished for the best.

It seemed to be extra dark Thursday morning. I soon discovered the reason why. There was a dense layer of fog that I feared would never end. I kept thinking that I should turn around, go home, this is crazy. I soldiered on. I was then shuttled into a line for Joe Louis Parking Garage. Oh no! I kept thinking, "I'll never make it on time."

The race was delayed. With over 22,000 racers laced and ready to go, it took me 20 minutes just to nudge my way over the starting line. My finish was about the time of my first 10k. This was my second and the temperature was very different.

The weather was wonderful for a parade. I'm happy to know that my donation will continue to support the annual event.

No comments:

Post a Comment