Wednesday, September 4, 2013

30-day challenge: move a mile a day!


I normally scoff at challenges, but since that pesky lower lumbar injury I sustained over two months ago, I was forced to shake things up a bit and work around it. In my effort to stay active and not fall off the gains I made, I introduced things like: full body workouts every other day, omitting running over a mile, and then dropped my workouts down to 2-3 per week in the last 15 days.

As the month of September fast approached, I ran across a challenge that I felt surely I could do. My weekly running base was 20 miles when I was at top flight, and considering my muscles could be reminded of this effort, I embarked on the challenge to move a mile a day in 30. I could have started the challenge the moment I came into contact with the info, but I decided to recruit an online support team to help keep me motivated.

I discovered one eager participant who normally does not run, and I prepped for battle between the old base and the one that I had fallen into post injury. I hit the track every other day and crept up to 5 miles. In the past I could sustain 11 miles. I didn't cry as my show produced failure based on the pre-injury stats. Instead, I relaxed and just enjoyed being outside and moving.

Along with running everyday, I am also easing in weights again but breaking up the body into separate days as I used to and making sure this time is limited to 2 sets or a 30 minute routine, then followed by 30 minute yoga/pilate stretch.

September has 30 days and what better way to throw myself into a 30 day challenge than by keeping a mental note of what day it is of the month, and therefore what run number I am aiming for. I am not racing. I am simply enjoying breathing, watching my gait, checking my foot strike, and keeping my body relaxed.

Every morning I am roaring and ready to go! I am noticing some familiars and newbies on the track. It's so refreshing to see the crew when I arrive or watch them enter the track while I'm in full stride!

It's a labor of love!

http://beta.active.com/fitness/Articles/30-Day-Challenge-Move-a-Mile-a-Day

No comments:

Post a Comment