Sunday, February 9, 2014

bye bye raw shea butter

It’s a little over a year that I’m a tex-lax sub. 

What is tex-lax
A tex-lax is simply a weakened relaxer to loosen the curl pattern, not completely flatten it. This is achieved by reducing the processing time for a normal relaxing application, or mixing the base with conditioner, oil, and Aloe Vera gel. I use the latter.

It's a learning curve!

I have no regrets with moving to tex-laxing. It wasn't the processing that caused me to resent the change, but the product: raw Shea Butter. It left my hair matted, tangled, and hard to clean. The shed hairs were hard to remove, causing a mangled mess of tangles. I suffered quite a lost of years of hair growth as a result.

The discovery was truly a labor of love. I'm sticking with a small haul of products:
  • Suave Almond and Shea Shampoo and Conditioner
  • Suave 2 in 1 plus (shampoo and conditioner)
  • Carol's Daughter: Mimosa Hair Honey, Healthy Hair Butter
  • My very own Black Tea Castor Oil 
This is not an easy product to remove from hair when washing. My hair tangles. Now that my hair appears to be more manageable, I’m comfortable washing it once a week and plan to invest in some new hair brushes. 

I am so blessed and pleased to have discovered what has been troubling my tresses. I was so very close to just leaving the tangles and starting a loc journey. My focus remains on healthy hair, manageability, and style lastly. 


Buns are the best style for me due to my workout schedule. They also keep me from touching my hair. They are great protective styles. I alternate weekly, two side by side buns with one bun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment