Friday, February 14, 2014

stretching your tex-laxer

My relaxer of choice is Creme of Nature Argan Oil no-lye regular relaxer, under-processed...of course!

It’s never a good thing to go too long between touch-ups, and to never over-process your hair by scheduling your touch-ups too close together.

Everyone’s hair will grow at a difference rate, and often this varies personally through the year. Certain events challenge our growth, as others promote a rich thriving atmosphere. My hair used to grow mostly in the summer, and now because I keep it in great protective styles and treat it more carefully, consume a vegetarian diet, and drink plenty of water, my hair grows…and grows!

Growing hair has never been a challenge, but retaining volume is another thing. This brings me to the challenge of stretching my relaxers. I do not like that thin, fine, super-bone straight look of a fresh relaxer which is why when I returned to relaxers, I opted for tex-laxing. I wanted texture, manageability, and what was most healthy.

Stretching the relaxer continues to serve my need to have lots of texture…and boy do I have texture once the roots start pushing. The first year, I had a schedule of touch-ups every three months: March, June, Sept, and Dec (anniversary).  Last November, I realized I couldn't make it until mid-December, so I went for it at the very end of November. As a result, my schedule is slightly off. I feel the need for touch up now. I will likely not make it out of February. 

Sometimes my hair pushes me to want to break that schedule; however this is where the stretching event takes root. Moisturize and take extra care of the line of demarcation: point where the new growth and texlax portion meet. Without extra moisture and care, this is where the hair can potentially snap off and you lose hair.

a little shedding is good, breaking is bad

Although I work out most days of the week, I am still very cautious of the drying effect of the perspiration as well as the season. As long as I feel my hair and there is moisture, I’m good. The LOC (liquid, oil, cream) method on sealing my hair prevents the salts of sweat from penetrating the follicle. Weekly washes will reduce the amount of salty build ups.

I have a month at least before my retouch. I am feeling loads of new growth. Instead of reaching for the product, it’s TLC time! Stretch…stretch…stretch! My goal is to go one to two weeks past February 15th…we’ll see! Fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment