Thursday, September 9, 2010

my natural hair care

It was a long time coming, and I didn't think a change would come! I was introduced to the creamy crack at the age of nine. I never knew that the one that got me hooked would become my inspiration to get into 'rehab' and stick with it. I think my first relaxer was some Super brand of Ultra Sheen which slicked, fried, and laid to the side, by hair. The next relaxer was one by L'oreal. I'm not sure if even brands still exist but it my addiction didn't stop there. You see I had to have the infamous 'jheri curl' during the 80's, and on, and on...until my hair had enough.

You ask if you transition to natural hair was one birthed by some pilgrimage to the Mother Land...and I tell you, absolutely not! My hair was long, but it was damaged. And because I working out in the gym most days of the week, it stayed in a pony tail or bun. Nothing new there. I've always had a love-hate relationship with my hair. Growing it long was never a problem. Finding a way to keep it healthy during daily sweats at Bally's proved to be a daunting task.

Every wash was a freak out session which regularly came with large clumps of tresses running down the drain. Enough! I was tired of trying to salvage the breakage, one year of therapy wasn't repairing it. So I shaved it off! Yes I did. What the scissors wouldn't catch, the clippers took to the scalp. It was so liberating. As it. In three months, it will be two years nappy, curly, natural...or whatever. I call it simply freedom. I get to have the versatility I had been craving for decades. But I haven't gone straight, nor have I allowed a pair of flat irons or blow dryer touch my tresses.

I admit I donned a wig out of laziness. But mostly because it was pressure by others who are still on the 'straight' is best drug. What ever! Some old favorite products remain on my shelf, but I've embraced a new product line that took some time to convince me to purchase. And guess what? I love it! Carol's Daughter, won me over!


For daily maintenance, I revisited a product creator, once used from my days of relaxers and cold waves. No it's not chemical. Ha! Hawaiian Silky not only makes a curl and relaxer, but it has the best conditioning moisturizing creams and gels in store! I use the gel activator, the cream activator, the spray moisturizing conditioner, and of course the 14 in 1. Good stuff! It's all that it says it is--miracle worker indeed.


In addition to that, it's Eco Style gel, dark. I'm really considering trying their Olive Oil gel. I'll do a sample of it, and let you know what I think!

No comments:

Post a Comment