Saturday, March 29, 2014

kiss kiss...bye bye heating tools for hair

I will not throw out my blow dryer today, but this is the last one I ever plan to buy. I am also ditching a lot of hot curlers and other heat tools. It sounds strange to my own ears to say, as well as type given that I recently purchased a beautiful purple InStyler curling/styling wand. A month has passed since it arrived in the mail. I read the directions. I viewed the video. I am on this healthy hair care journey and excessive heat is the enemy.

Years ago, despite my wide hot curler collection, I was an avid fan of jheri curls, braids, and definitely my “snap, lock, and go” aside from basic magnetic hair rollers. I even purchased a hot curler set, that I think I threw away, but did not use once. I had so many magnetic rollers.

My hair thrived in those protective styles. The only time I can recall damage was through post-braiding relaxers, which actually should have followed with protein treatments. Staying away from heat will force me to rely on 'non-heat' techniques to produce satisfying results. Over time, it becomes a habit. It will not be hard. For the past 5 years, since starting out natural and bald-shaved, I frequently reflect on the times when my hair thrived. Despite my age, and all things that change with age, there needs to be a return of the old things that worked and eliminating the things that impede growth.

No comments:

Post a Comment