Sunday, April 27, 2014

my mom's caramel cake...sort of

Hot Cakes on Cooling Rack
My cousin absolutely loved my mother's caramel cake. She was always my mother's favorite niece and nary a moment went by that she wouldn't remind us 'kids'.

My mother's birthday is April 28th and she'd be 84 years old. In honor of her I decided to make this rich traditional favorite for the month of April, expecting it would be fitting for Easter Sunday. Instead I delivered it on today at my younger cousin's baby shower.

The recipe has been refined. As any cook would do, I made the recipe my own by tweaking a few elements. It is basically the same. My mom used Swan's Down Cake flour.
I was never a fan of purchasing 'special' items when you can simply make your own...that's scratch right? Well according to my cousin, it was delectable. And I am glad that it was because it was truly a labor of love. 
Liquid Gold...

Rules to baking: Room temperature for all ingredients unless told to do otherwise. For even cakes, divide batter and use a scale!

Ingredients:
Cake
2 sticks of unsalted butter or margarine
3 1/4 cup 'cake' flour
1 T baking powder
1/2 t salt
2 1/2 c sugar
2 t vanilla flavor/extract

Ready for delivery...
4 eggs
1 1/4 c milk

Caramel
3 1/2 c sugar
2 sticks of salted butter or margarine
2 12 oz cans evaporated milk
1 t vanilla flavor or extract

Cake Preparation...
Heat Oven to 350 degrees. Make sure all ingredients are at room temperature. Grease two 9 inch cake pans with 1 T unsalted butter and dust with flour. Tap out excess and set aside. Sift flour, baking powder, and salt then set aside. Beat remaining unsalted butter for cake with 2 1/2 cups of sugar in a bowl with an electric mixer until fluffy. Add vanilla and eggs one at a time, beating after each addition. Add flour mixture and milk alternately in three batches, beating smooth after each addition. Divide batter between pans, and scale for evenness. Bake until golden brown 30-35 minutes. Allow them to cool on a rack for 10 minutes before removing from pans.

Prepare Caramel...
Cook 3 1/2 cups of sugar, salted butter, in a pot over high heat stirring constantly until light brown. 7-8 minutes. Carefully stir in evaporated milk and reduce heat to medium low. Cook stirring constantly for 8-10 minutes. Reduce heat to low, stir constantly for 1/2-1 1/2 hours. Remove from heat, stir in vanilla flavor and beat with a spoon. As it cools, the icing will become thick and glossy. Allow caramel temperature to cool before spreading on bottom layer. Place top layer and spread evenly and on sides. Chill to set. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment