Saturday, May 3, 2014

progressive overload...progressing training

June 10th 2014 will mark my 4 year anniversary of commencing this 'lifestyle change'. As many know it was gradual but steadfast. The difference between this round and last round, was I completely gave up on prescription medications and emphatically embraced homeopathic/homevedic way of life. It is not like I never tried homeopathic before, as I was often called "mother earth" or 'witch' due my herbal remedies.

This lifestyle change that many still avoid, opting for diets and quick fix results have brought me to make this post. It seems as if I am often typing the same thing regarding the 80/20 rule, but I will say it again and again if necessary until the community embraces life-change over diets.

Diets do not work for the long term. You must find something that you can do for life or for at least 6 months to a year, and then steadily evolve from there. All who know me know I commenced with eating everything in portion size, then became a pescatarian who still used meat to season, to a pescatarian/vegetarian flex, and then in the Fall of 2013 officially swore of fish/seafood to become a Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian.

I put nutrition first in this post because it is first and foremost. It is where I obtain my natural medicines. But my workouts have also evolved. This part of my life is something that has peaks and valley's. My workouts (cardio/strength training) continually to reflect growth and change with my body.

Very often, and I do mean that, the gym buddies who are not serious about their nutrition and regular workouts continue to be astonished at how my body continues to grow and change, as if it should be getting fatter instead of leaner. It is of the mindset of those who are failing at conquering the beast who suggest you should follow their mantra.

I help those, but mostly spend my energies helping those who help themselves.

Also, intelligent people do not need to be convinced that a clean diet and progressive training will steadily produce favorable results. You do not need a picture of someone you hardly know over the internet in their 4th year of 'change' to believe that change is possible. You just have to do it. Mindless chatter is 'excuse' laden mockery of those who are doing the work.

What is progressive training/progressive overload? This principal refers to continually increasing the demands on the musculoskeletal system in order to continually make gains in muscle size, strength and endurance. In simplest terms - In order to get bigger and stronger you must continually lift more and more and make your muscles work harder than they are used to. If you don't, your muscles will not become any stronger or bigger than they currently are.

How does one create progressive training/progressive overload?
  1. Increase Resistance
  2. Increase Sets
  3. Increase Repetitions
  4. Increase Frequency
  5. Increase Exercises
  6. Increase Intensity
  7. Decrease Rest Time
You cannot do these goofy challenges, lay off a season, and expect to remain or maintain the level of fitness you had when you were grinding. Summer bodies are honed in the Winter. Although any day (or season) is a good place to start, you cannot leave it there. It is a year-a-round hustle and this hustle must come with progressive training/progressive overload. Your diet must seek to achieve greatness.

Do I cheat? There is no such thing. It is calories in vs. calories out. I love my confections. I won't part with them other than from my cold dead fingers. Do I snack healthy? Yes, most of the time. Again, this is the 80/20 rule. Now sometimes it is 90/10 and I will tell you there are months where I am in the ZONE 100%.

I have however in the past suffered injury and had to layoff from workouts. I learned to not fret because a clean diet can get you through stalls or lags in your workout regimen. Truth: You cannot out-exercise a shitty diet. Eventually, it catches up to you. Imagine me on layoff from workouts and gaining instead of losing...

Yes, it could happen if you are stuffing your face full of junk and relying on exercise as your everyday 'get-out-of-jail-free' card. Train yourself to make improvements and you will show improvements. You do not have to be perfect, but aim for perfection.

No comments:

Post a Comment