Saturday, April 4, 2015

an island feast for resurrection day

I am always trying new things and this Easter, I am quite challenged by the food bursting from my fridge and freezer. I have set out to use my convection oven and stop storing it, using it to keep items from sliding off of the top of the fridge. I was tossed between West Africa and West Indies. I settled with the West Indies after accidentally turning some Spanish rice into a jollof rice, served on beans, and topped with Corn Salsa.

The menu: Jamaican Fried Rice, Fried Plantains, Jerk Spiced Tofu, and Bean Pies.




Although, I will be dining out for Sunday, I still will get to enjoy my feast throughout the week. 

Jamaican Mock Chicken Fried Rice

Ingredients:

Diced: green beans, onions, yellow pepper, zucchini, mushrooms, vegetarian meat sub
Spices: cayenne, paprika, salt, garlic pepper, parsley, cloves (and/or all spice), onion powder, thyme
Brown Rice: 2 cups cooked.
Olive Oil.

Preparation:

Rinse rice for 5 minutes removing starch. Cook rice to al dente. Do not allow water to evaporate. Strain with sift.

Saute diced strips with onions and mushrooms in oil. Add other vegetables. Then last add brown rice. Combine. Fry, but do not allow sticking. 

No comments:

Post a Comment