Thursday, February 1, 2018

Rediscovering Vital Wheat Gluten

If you are wheat sensitive, this post is not for you or you may substitute for tofu, if you fancy it.

I fortunately affirm that I have a tolerance for these processed plants, and lately some interesting ideas have come out of using them.  First, in this post, I dedicate to Vital Wheat Gluten.

A couple of months ago, I purchased a bag of Bob's Red Mill Vital Wheat Gluten for the purpose of making Seitan.  When I originally tried it, the preparation did not agree with me.  I hated the flavor suggestions.  I swore I would never venture that way again.

But a friend who flexes vegetarian inspired me to take another shot at it.  If a family that stumps for meat can love Seitan, why can't I?  And so I drilled up the courage to make last Sunday the day.  Let me tell you, the ideas have gone through the roof.

The bag has instructions and you should follow them.  In terms of savory seasoning, go with your own taste. 

I did a bang up job.  I left out the once suggested 'liquid smoke' (yuck) and stuck with my homemade broth with some store bought included. 

I increased the kneading time as well as the boil.  I had everything from a stir fry, to nuggets, to a steak sandwich!

I still have more left.  I will follow the instructions for storing it.  In the meantime, I plan to continue exploring Seitan.




Check out this collage...

Clockwise: Vegetable Fried Rice, Nuggets w/ Green Beans,
Stew, and Steak Sandwich!

No comments:

Post a Comment